The Information We Collect from Children, How We Use It, and How and When We Communicate with Parents
Our App includes activities that may collect information from children. Below we summarize potential instances of collection and outline how and when we will provide parental notice and/or seek parental consent. In any instance that we collect personal information from a child, we will retain that information only so long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the activity request or allow the child to continue to participate in the activity, and ensure the security of our users and our services, or as required by law. In the event we discover we have collected information from a child in a manner inconsistent with COPPA’s requirements, we will either delete the information or immediately seek the parent’s consent for that collection.
During the in-App set-up process, we may ask you to provide certain information about your children that will be using the App (including their nickname and birth date and year). Please note that the App cannot be used without this information being provided. However, you may provide data that is not accurate for a child but this may affect the accuracy of progress reports (should you opt to receive these) for that child.
We will not require your child to provide, or request that they provide, any additional information in order to use our App.
About the collection of parent email address: Consistent with the requirements of COPPA, prior to a child using our App, we will obtain an email address from the device user/owner (whether their actual email address or, where selected, a ‘disguised’ email address that forwards emails received to the underlying/’true’ account) before we collect any personal information from the child.
You may only permit children to use our App if you are the parent/guardian of those children.
If you believe your child is participating in an activity that collects personal information and you or another parent/guardian have NOT signed up to our App using ‘Sign in with Apple’ or ‘Sign in with Google’ please feel free to contact us at email@example.com. We will not use parent emails provided for parental consent purposes to market to the parent, unless the parent has expressly opted in to email marketing or has separately participated in an activity that allows for such email contact.
- provide children with access to features and activities on our App and track their progress (e.g. levels completed)
- customize content and improve our App
- produce reports for parents/guardians regarding children’s progress;
- conduct research and analysis to address the performance of our App
- generate anonymous reporting for our use
In the event we collect (or allow others to collect) such information from children on our App for other purposes, we will notify parents and obtain consent prior to such collection.
When Information Collected from Children Is Available to Others
We may share or disclose personal information collected from children in a limited number of instances, including the following:
- We may share information with our service providers if necessary for them to perform a business, professional, or technology support function for us.
- We may disclose personal information if permitted or required by law, for example, in response to a court order or a subpoena. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we also may disclose personal information collected from children (i) in response to a law enforcement or public agency’s (including schools or children services) request; (ii) if we believe disclosure may prevent the instigation of a crime, facilitate an investigation related to public safety or protect the safety of a child using our sites or applications; (iii) to protect the security or integrity of our sites, applications, and other technology, as well as the technology of our service providers; or (iv) enable us to take precautions against liability.
Parental Choices and Controls
At any time, parents can refuse to permit us to collect further personal information from their children in association with a particular account, and can request that we delete from our records the personal information we have collected in connection with that account. Please keep in mind that a request to delete records may lead to a termination of an account, membership, or other service.